Scroll Top
2750 N. Stiles Road, Ludington, MI

Fall Weather Dangers To Your Dog

As the temperatures have dropped and some of us are looking for anything and everything pumpkin flavored, it’s good to be aware of other things that could be dangerous to your dog that you may not be aware of. Understanding this list of dangers can help prevent emergency vet visits and/or sick dogs.

1) ACORNS

If you have an oak tree in your yard you probably have noticed how many acorns seem to be falling this year. Our yard and deck are accumulating them at a rapid pace this year! While the squirrels may be excited about them, they can be a danger to our dogs as they can cause intestinal blockages, which may become fatal without emergency surgery. If your dog consumes a large amount of acorns, they could cause kidney or liver damage, as some contain high amounts of tannins. So if you have a dog who seems to eat things that they shouldn’t, keep an eye on them and keep them away from acorns.

2) LEAF PILES

I’m sure most of us are guilty of raking up leaves into big piles and then bringing our dogs out to run through them, all while we get great videos and photos of it. And of course the dogs love it! However, if your dog ingests any of the leaves it can cause GI upset, such as vomiting or diarrhea. So be sure that your dog isn’t eating any of the leaves while playing in them.

3) HALLOWEEN CANDY

Consumption of halloween candy is one of the most common fall dangers for dogs. With all of the excitement of costumes and parties and handing out candy to the kids it is very easy to leave a bowl full of candy sitting where your dog can easily get into it. While ingesting chocolate is rarely fatal, it can cause significant illness as it affects the heart, GI system as well as their blood pressure. And if your dog ingests the wrappers on the candy that can cause intestinal blockages. On top of this sugar-free candy that contains artificial sweeteners, such as xylitol or birch sugar causes slow blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and possibly even death. To avoid all of this keep your Halloween candy away from your dog and in a sealed container. If your dog does consume candy call your vet to see what you need to do.

4) ANTIFREEZE

This liquid is one of the deadliest threats to both dogs and cats. It can pose a risk in garages if it leaks onto the floor and is then licked up by pets. While antifreeze functions to regulate temperature and keep your vehicle running smoothly, we need to keep it away from all animals. Be sure to keep an eye on your driveway or garage, checking for signs of antifreeze leakage. If you spill antifreeze, use cat litter to soak it up, and dispose of the litter immediately. If you think your pet has ingested antifreeze, contact your veterinarian right away for treatment.

5) TOXIC MUSHROOMS

The damp conditions of fall create the perfect opportunity for mushrooms to crop up jn your yard and on hiking trails. While not all fungi are bad for your dog, it’s important to keep them away from all mushrooms. Even non-toxic mushrooms can cause GI upset with vomiting and diarrhea. And the Amanita mushrooms is deadly to dogs. Be careful while on walks and hikes and keep your dog on a leash, keeping a careful eye on what they may be checking out to possibly eat. Also check your yard daily for any mushrooms that may have popped up if you have a dog that likes to eat things.

6) SHORTER DAYS

If you are like me, you hate that the days are getting shorter and we have less daylight. Most people walk their dogs after work and, with the days being shorter in the fall, it means you are walking with low visibility. There are some precautions you should take to keep yourself and your dog safe. Reflective collars and leashes on your dog and reflecting clothing on yourself will help motorists see you better. There are some really good lighted vests on the market today that many runners utilize. Those are a great addition for walking or running your dog after daylight. And if you have attended our basic obedience class you learned that walking into the traffic is the safest and proper way to walk your dog on the road.

7) HOLIDAY FOOD SCRAPS

My guess is that at times many of us are guilty of feeding our dogs food scraps. However, according to studies, one of the most common veterinary emergencies during the fall and the holiday season is the consumption of human food by pets, such as sweets and candies. You may be tempted to give your dog leftover turkey after Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey skin, ham, and gravy are high-fat foods that can lead to pancreatitis in your dog. Additionally, onions and garlic are toxic foods for dogs, so if you have any dishes with these ingredients on the table, keep them away from your pet.

Being aware of these fall dangers will help keep your dog safe and healthy. And since we are on the topic of holidays, this is a reminder to give us a call at 231-845-0550 for your boarding needs over the holidays as we are starting to get quite a few reservations now. And we are currently taking reservations for our October Basic Obedience Training Class. Our classes do fill up as we limit how many dogs are in them so don’t wait too long if you are interested in getting some training done with your dog before the holidays! 🐾🐕🥰

Add Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Most Popular Posts